What are the income limits for state-aided public housing?

To be eligible for state-aided public housing, your household income must be at or under 80 percent of the area median income. The income limits change periodically, so for current income limits, please visit the DHCD website.

What about state vouchers (MRVP or AHVP), federally subsidized apartments, and Section 8 vouchers? Can I use the CHAMP application?

The CHAMP application is currently for state-aided public housing only. Please contact your Local Housing Authority or Regional Administering Agency if you are interested in learning more about these other housing assistance programs. The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) also provides an online application for Section 8 vouchers administered by some Local Housing Authorities in Massachusetts.

How do I request a translator to help me apply using CHAMP?

Both the online and paper CHAMP applications are available in English, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Khmer, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese. To request a translator please contact a Local Housing Authority.

I have a disability which makes it difficult for me to file a CHAMP application. How can I get some assistance?

Please contact any a Local Housing Authority for assistance.

What if I want to apply using CHAMP online but I have to use a public computer?

Your online CHAMP application can be accessed using a smart phone (i.e. android or iPhone), tablet, or computer. If you are using a public computer (at a library for example) make sure you do not save any personal or login information to that device and log off completely after you are done. If you are inactive on the CHAMP website for more than 20 minutes you will be logged off automatically.

What should I use as a username when I create a CHAMP account?

You will be required to use an email address as your username when creating a CHAMP account online. This will help you access your account in case you forget your password. If you do not have an email or access to a computer, you may still apply for state-aided public housing using a paper CHAMP application.

I submitted an application for public housing in the past, was this application entered into the CHAMP system?

Yes, any active applications previously submitted on paper to a Local Housing Authority are now online in CHAMP. You may search for your application and create an account online using the CHAMP website.

I submitted my application a long time ago, will I still have the same timestamp that was on my original application?

Yes, your previous time stamp has been saved online in CHAMP. However, you will need to log into the CHAMP website or contact a Local Housing Authority at least once every two years in order to keep your application active. If you do not keep your application active, it will be given an inactive status and removed from waiting lists after one year of inactivity.

I started an application online but did not finish it, how can I go back in to complete it?

If you started an application online, you may finish where you left off by logging into your CHAMP account. You may come back to complete or edit your application at any time, but it will not be submitted until you have completed the Applicant's Certification AND the Fair Information Practices Act -Statement of Rights at the end of the application and clicked “submit.” You must select at least one program at one housing authority where you want to apply in order to submit your application. Once you have submitted a CHAMP application, you will be able to make changes or updates to your application using your online account.

I mailed a CHAMP application to a Local Housing Authority, how long will it take for me to see it online?

Processing times vary by Local Housing Authority. However, all applications will receive a timestamp when they are received and will be available on the CHAMP website after they have been processed. To ensure your application is processed fully, be sure to provide all of the required (*) information, make at least one housing selection, and sign the Applicant's Certification AND the Fair Information Practices Act - Statement of Rights at the end of the CHAMP application.

How do I add or remove myself from a waitlist?

Every Local Housing Authority has a waitlist for each of the housing programs available at their Local Housing Authority. At the end of the CHAMP application there is a full list of the state-aided public housing programs available at each Local Housing Authority. Please see the DHCD website for descriptions of each housing program.

Once you have applied using CHAMP and created an account, you will be able to make changes to your application online. You may also update your application by sending a written request to any Local Housing Authority using the forms available on the DHCD website. If you can’t access or print out a form online, you may obtain one from a Housing Authority.

Who should I ask if I am having trouble completing the CHAMP application?

For assistance applying with the CHAMP application, please contact a Local Housing Authority.

Where can I find the paper application for applying to state-aided public housing?

You can now apply for state-aided public housing online or access your previously submitted application online using CHAMP. To use the paper application for state-aided public housing instead, click here and mail it or go to any Local Housing Authority.

Still need help?

To reach our message center for more information, call 1-866-483-6445.